Friday 1 February 2019

Ginger Reviews The #Cat Who Went Bananas #Cozy #Mystery

Title: The Cat Who Went Bananas

Author: Lilian Jackson Braun
Genre: Cozy / Pets / Amateur Sleuth
Status: Abandoned
Cats?: At least three

Ginger Says:

I'm breaking my own rules, here.

I have a bit of a personal policy about not reviewing books until I've read them to completion. If I have no intention of finishing a book, I wouldn't normally review it.

Why have I broken my rule for The Cat Who Went Bananas?

Because it's bad.  It's really bad, really poorly written. Dick and Jane Solve a Murder, with a heavy helping of Grampa Simpson rambling. When you're constantly asking a book "Why are you telling me this?" that's not a good sign. Honestly, it was a struggle to get through the first three chapters. By that point, I knew I wouldn't be reading the rest of the book.

Sure cats have nine lives, but they're all too short to waste on bad writing.

The reason I wanted to review The Cat Who Went Bananas (or at least comment on it) anyway is that this book comes from a series that's been around for decades. The earlier "The Cat Who..." books are fantastic. I've reviewed one written in 1967 very positively.

When I got my paws on a copy of The Cat Who Went Bananas, I put it aside for a time when I wanted to treat myself. Sometimes you need to cozy up with a good book, and if you're lucky, you're familiar with a series that can give you just the feeling of warmth and comfort you need.

The fact that this terrible book is part of a series that was formerly fantastic is what disappoints me the most. I had high expectations based on other books in the series.  This book doesn't meet those expectations. Nowhere near.

How the mighty have fallen.

Ever since I put this book down, I've been thinking about successful series on a grander scale. Not just books, but television too.  No matter how good a series is in the beginning (or wherever its golden era is situated), at some point that series is going to be in decline. I really respect creators who know when to pull the plug, but I also understand the urge to keep on truckin, especially if the series is making big money.

As a reader, do you prefer to follow a series into the abyss because you're comfortable and familiar with the characters? Or do you stop buying those books as soon as they're past their prime? I can think of a lot of TV shows I've stopped watching even though I really liked them earlier on.

What about you? Can you think of a series (whether it be books or television) that dropped off in quality? Did you keep reading or watching?  Or did you dump it like yesterday's trash? Let us know in the comments.

If you're curious about The Cat Who Went Bananas, I invite you to form your own opinions. I won't be finishing it, but maybe you will. Maybe you'll love it!










No comments:

Post a Comment