Tuesday 23 May 2017

Ginger Reads The Quiche of Death, Agatha Raisin #Cozy #British #Mystery

https://www.amazon.com/Quiche-Death-Agatha-Mystery-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B001P7RV54?tag=dorishay-20
Title: The Quiche of Death, The First Agatha Raisin Mystery

Author: M.C. Beaton
Genre: Cozy / British / Small Town
Status:In Progress
Cats?:Not Yet

Ginger Says:

I only just started reading The Quiche of Death the other day, but already I understand why my fellow cozy-enthusiasts have been encouraging me to pounce on this series: within the first couple chapters, it's already got everything you could ask for in a cozy. Oh, except nobody's been murdered yet. Obviously that isn't an obstacle to my enjoyment.

What I'm really loving about The Quiche of Death is the way our main character, Agatha Raisin, is a fish out of water in her new surroundings. In the first chapter, she sells her business in London and moves to a quaint town in the Cotswolds. Moving to a small English town is a fantasy for most cozy readers, even a Canadian kitten like me. I think that's half the reason we read cozies: for the setting.

Agatha Raisin is a fish out of water not only because she's a Londoner in a tiny town, but she's a contemporary person amidst a swell of characters who seem plucked from Father Brown. The townsfolk act, dress, and even style their hair like people from the past. Sure we're getting glimpses of Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages in this town, but there's a distinct period drama aspect to the supporting cast. It's a world the reader wants to inhabit all day long. The ins and outs of village life are so attractive to a city cat like me. And a rigged Quiche Competition? Yes, please!

I would love to tell you more, but that's all I know so far. As I say, I haven't even made it to the murder yet. But unless this book takes a wild turn, I'm sure to enjoy it tremendously!










No comments:

Post a Comment