Friday 21 April 2017

KitKat Reads The #Witch Tree Symbol, A Nancy Drew #Mystery by Carolyn Keene

https://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Drew-33-Witch-Symbol-ebook/dp/B002CIY900?tag=dorishay-20
Title: The Witch Tree Symbol
Author: Carolyn Keene
Genre: Juvenile / Nostalgia / Mystery
Status: Read
Cats?: None, but there is an angry bull.

KitKat Says:

Inspired by Zorro's review of a Hardy Boys Mystery, I decided to give Nancy Drew a go.  I've obviously heard references to this series, and I'm aware it's been popular for generations, but I've never read a Nancy Drew book for myself. Better late than never?

With a copyright date of 1955, I was more than a little afraid of what I was getting into with The Witch Tree Symbol--particularly because the action takes place in Amish country. I figured a book written in the 50s would resort to broad stereotypes in representing Amish people.

I was surprised (and relieved) to find I was wrong. I'm not Amish, so I can't speak with any degree of authority on the matter, but it seemed like a fair and thoughtful representation of the families it depicted.

Not just that, but Nancy Drew is an intrepid investigator. She's pretty fearless.  I can see why the series has been so popular throughout the years.

Having said all that, would I rush out to read another Nancy Drew mystery novel?  Probably not, and here's why: I found the writing style outdated and impersonal. I don't mean that as a dig. These books were written, what, more than sixty years ago? Times change, trends change, tastes change. I really like to get inside a character's head and feel what they're feeling. That's pretty much impossible to do when the narrative bobs at the surface of the action.

I still think that, if you've never read a Nancy Drew mystery, The Witch Tree Symbol is worth your while.  Aren't you curious what you've been missing out on all these years?

Whether you read Nancy Drew as a youngster and you're looking for a spot of nostalgia or you've never read this series and you don't mind starting with #33, you might want to spend a day with The Witch Tree Symbol.









No comments:

Post a Comment